My view of the world, one photo at a time...

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Swimming with dolphins

Or not so much... So the plan for today was that we were booked on the crack-o-ass (aka 5:30am) dolphin swim trip. Sounds fantastic, right? Well when we checked in on Saturday we were warned there was weather blowing in from Antartica. Yeah, not something I generally think about, but okay. We were to call at 5:20am to see if the trip was still going. Yep, it was - with the caveat that it was going to be a very rough ride with a high seasickness factor. KB & I decided we were up for it and loaded up on Dramamine. Got to the meet up & squeezed myself into a wetsuit. That was a comedy if I do say so myself! Anyway, suited up, loaded up and bussed to the boat, we were warned again of the seasickness risk. Once on the boat we were asked about our prior snorkeling experience. Um, none? Apparently for swimming with dolphins in high seas that's not a good thing. The very nice lady offered to give me a quickie lesson. Who knew that putting on a snorkel mask would cause a panic attack? I had never worn one (I know, shocking!) and, well, apparently never will without major drugs. That put a serious kibosh on actually getting in the water when the swells are 4-6 feet. On a calm day, no problem. Rough seas, not happening. So, I (happily!) became a spectator & KB had a great swim with 12 Dusky dolphins. Wait til we manage to get the videos uploaded - total new respect for the Deadliest Catch guys! And no, I didn't get seasick. The poor family from Japan were not so lucky... I was quite happy to see solid ground though. Ok, long enough post for now. Will post photos from today next...

Contributors